- 1/2 of a 15-ounce package (1 crust) folded refrigerated unbaked piecrust
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Let piecrust stand at room temperature according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine apples, 3 tablespoons water, and lemon juice. Bring just to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until apples are tender. Combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and allspice; stir into apple mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in margarine or butter. Cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Unfold pie crust. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spoon apple mixture evenly over half of crust to within 1/2 inch of edge. Moisten edges of dough with water. Fold dough in half over filling. Seal by pressing with tines of a fork. Flute edges, if desired. Cut slits in top. Brush with milk; sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or cool. Cut into wedges to serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired. Makes 3 to 5 servings.